Sunday 19 August 2012

House Hunting Out of Season..

Sunday, you are so bitter-sweet.
Sweet with your slow and steady wandering, with meandering coffees and teas, calling of long lost friends, casual sock washing and loose schedules of entertainment. 
Bitter, with the creeping knowledge you a
re finite.
Not just you Sunday, but me too.

A sense of impermanence has permeated my day.. A transitory mellow ennui fell over the places I lay today like a mohair blanket. Time travel was also a part of it. I curled and I read and I was 11 in the cosy cabin home of my youth, girt by the mist addled Strathbogie mountains, The Hobbit in hand. Then I spoke to a friend who took me to 17 when we first moved to Melbourne together, when 'catching up' wasn't a concept, their company a given, still in the every day swing of completely interconnected lives like in high school, like in family, where their business is your business, everyday.

Maybe it's the end game of a week that shook and blew and threatened to slip, but Sunday feels victorious, feels luxurious, and I'm looking to the week ahead to cement this gauzy feeling of impermanence. Transition is my favored mode. Even when it's tricky. Even when you're house hunting out of season.

I think Feist knows what I'm talking about. Xx til next time


1 comment:

  1. Hi Ella
    I stumbled across your blog via twitter - invent read much because it's late and I must sleep. But what I have read shows me you are a beautiful writer. I want to read more soon. I met you years ago - I guess in 2000 - in Albury. Your album was one of my favourites and I loved your lyrics. I still listen to Killing Heidi. And my mum has the picture of you, me and Adam Pedretti up on the coffee table back home. Anyway, just want to say, I'm glad I found your blog - seeing your writing is like rediscovering you again!
    Love Carly
    Carlyfindlay.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete